Tuesday 10 June 2008

Inchmickery

<






Inchmickery is a small island in the Forth. It is covered in crumbling wartime defences and from a distance looks like a warship. Presumably this was very deliberate. It makes for a short paddle from Aberdour, and on the way it's possible to visit some of the other rocks which pepper the Forth. On a recent calm day I paid a visit, stopping to look at the Oxcars light on the way.


The nesting season is now well under way, and the island was teeming with life. Birds flew out of every nook and cranny, and I was very glad to be wearing a big hat. I clearly wasn't a welcome visitor, so beat a hasty retreat to my kayak.


On the return I stopped off on Inchcolm, hoping to get an ice cream. Unfortunately it wasn't to be- the abbey doesn't stock them in case their generator breaks down. I skirted round the island and had a break at Braefoot Bay, which is still a lovely spot despite the tanker berth beside it.


On a quiet day the whole trip can easily be done in 3 or 4 hours, depending on how long you want to spend exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment